[NatureNS] Park History

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 10:58:13 -0300

Dear All,                    Apr 23, 2011
    A poster, in the April issue of Canadian Geographic says "Canada's
earlier national parks, such as Banff...were intended to provide
recreational opportunities, but over time, their purpose evolved to include
protection of wildlife..."

    This does not agree with earlier versions of park history that I have
seen elsewhere, perhaps in the Beaver, which (briefly) is that the nucleus
of the park system was established at the urging of trophy game hunters (who
being rich had clout) for the specific purpose of conservation; this initial
purpose being briefly forgotten in the rush to develop a general purpose
tourist industry.

    Can anybody tell me which of these versions is closer to the truth ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville