[NatureNS] Owl Monitoring Route 49

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:59:20 +0000

--_aad3fdce-b0df-4a7d-927b-c522b1f904eb_

Dorothy Poole and I did my owl route #49 last night.  It runs from Rhodes C=
orner to Whynott's Settlement and then inland to Maitland and through to Sw=
eetland.    It was a perfect night with no wind=2C very dark and clear brig=
ht skies with sound traveling for miles.  It did not look good for the firs=
t three stops.   Then very close to stop number four a barred owl came flyi=
ng down the road and landed in a tree.  We proceeded to our stop  number fo=
ur and after the second barred owl playback the owl came flying in and land=
ed on the road two feet from the CD player looking at it.  This is the firs=
t time I've ever had this happen.  I've had them land in a tree close to th=
e CD player=2C but never on the open road ready to confront the CD player. =
 I was standing about five feet away.  Exciting indeed.  We continued on to=
 Maitland and at this stop we have never been without owls.  This is the fi=
rst time that stop five was quiet.  The same went for stop six and seven.  =
Part way between seven and eight=2C we made a stop and tried for a northern=
 saw-whet there just out of curiousity as the habitat is perfect.  Dorothy =
played her ipod and the response was from four barred owls.  We continued o=
n to stop eight which was a long ways from these four owls and we picked up=
 four barred owls.  Stop number nine produced six barred owls from differen=
t directions and the hunting screech of a great horned owl.  At the last st=
op we heard two more barred owls.  I feel that none of these were repeats d=
ue to the closeness of the owls and the distance between stops.  So the tot=
al counting those not at an official stop was 17 barred owls and one great =
horned owl.  Frogs were plentiful with spring peepers at most stops ranging=
 from loud to softer and wood frogs at two or three stops.
=20
Today at Ragged Harbour we had quite a few swamp sparrows and one at Cherry=
 Hill.  At ragged harbour also was a hermit thrush.
I heard my first leopard frog calling at Cherry Hill Beach today.  At my fe=
eders at home today a red crossbill was back.  I got good photos=2C but mis=
sed the calls again as it flew.  This is a very difficult task to get a rec=
ording of these calls and probably my tenth or eleventh attempt now.  Purpl=
e finches are also back.  Pat has seen them here=2C but not myself yet.  At=
 Ragged Harbour there were palm and yellow-rumped warblers calling=2C but t=
hey would not come out.  They would be new arrivals that will not move for =
any amount of chuck chucking or pishing.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport 		 	   		  =

--_aad3fdce-b0df-4a7d-927b-c522b1f904eb_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Dorothy Poole and I did my owl route #49 last night.&nbsp=3B It runs from R=
hodes Corner to Whynott's Settlement and then inland to Maitland and throug=
h to Sweetland.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B It was a perfect night with no wind=
=2C very dark and clear bright skies with sound traveling for miles.&nbsp=
=3B It did not look good for the first three stops.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Then ve=
ry close to stop number four a barred owl came flying down the road and lan=
ded in a tree.&nbsp=3B We proceeded to our stop&nbsp=3B number four and aft=
er the second barred owl playback the owl came flying in and landed on the =
road two feet from the CD player looking at it.&nbsp=3B This is the first t=
ime I've ever had this happen.&nbsp=3B I've had them land in a tree close t=
o the CD player=2C but never on the open road ready to confront the CD play=
er.&nbsp=3B I was standing about five feet away.&nbsp=3B Exciting indeed.&n=
bsp=3B We continued on to Maitland and at this stop we have never been with=
out owls.&nbsp=3B This is the first time that stop five was quiet.&nbsp=3B =
The same went for stop six and seven.&nbsp=3B Part way between&nbsp=3Bseven=
 and eight=2C we made a stop and tried for a northern saw-whet there just o=
ut of curiousity as the habitat is perfect.&nbsp=3B Dorothy played her ipod=
 and the response was from four barred owls.&nbsp=3B We continued on to sto=
p eight which was a long ways from these four owls and we picked up four ba=
rred owls.&nbsp=3B Stop number nine produced six barred owls from different=
 directions and the hunting screech of a great horned owl.&nbsp=3B At the l=
ast stop we heard two more barred owls.&nbsp=3B I feel that none of these w=
ere repeats due to the closeness of the owls and the distance between stops=
.&nbsp=3B So the total counting those not at an official stop was 17 barred=
 owls and one great horned owl.&nbsp=3B Frogs were plentiful with spring pe=
epers at most stops ranging from loud to softer and wood frogs at two or th=
ree stops.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Today at Ragged Harbour we had quite a few swamp sparrows and one at Cherry=
 Hill.&nbsp=3B At ragged harbour also was a hermit thrush.<BR>
I heard my first leopard frog calling at Cherry Hill Beach today.&nbsp=3B A=
t my feeders at home today a red crossbill was back.&nbsp=3B I got good pho=
tos=2C but missed the calls again as it flew.&nbsp=3B This is a very diffic=
ult task to get a recording of these calls and probably my tenth or elevent=
h attempt now.&nbsp=3B Purple finches are also back.&nbsp=3B Pat has seen t=
hem here=2C but not myself yet.&nbsp=3B At Ragged Harbour there were palm a=
nd yellow-rumped warblers calling=2C but they would not come out.&nbsp=3B T=
hey would be new arrivals that will not move for any amount of chuck chucki=
ng or pishing.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_aad3fdce-b0df-4a7d-927b-c522b1f904eb_--