[NatureNS] N.Kentville raptors etc.

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 15:53:09 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

--000325554c6e53648c04a1ae9b31

Hi,

We have Red-tails flying around above our property frequently. 2 years ago
we found a nest just to the south, in some tall spruce just next to the
muddy pond between the road and the Eagle Landing subdivision. Yesterday Liz
and I trecked down through the tangle of multiflora roses and into the marsh
below the trees, and a Red-tail was sitting on top of the previous nest tree
and calling persistently. At the same time 2 male Cardinals were flying
about in the lower trees around the edge and singing. Male Red-winged
blackbirds are also now setting up territories in that marsh, and the one on
our own property, and are frequent visitors to our feeders. A Sharpie made a
brief stop on one of our trees, took a quick pass at 2 Grackles, then flew
on.

This morning a Merlin was calling loudly from the grove of trees where they
nested for several recent years close to the Valley Regional Hospital.

Also this morning one of the adult Bald eagles was sitting tight on the nest
at the W.edge of the Eagle Landing subdivision, and shortly after I left,
another, presumably its mate, swooped in in that direction. Got some nice
pictures without seeming to disturb them. There are several houses very
close to the nest, and the local people there I have spoken to are very
pleased with "their" eagle's nest.

While we were out seeing Dan Hill in concert on Friday evening our son heard
the Barred owl (?s) calling from the same area of woods, (they have been
resident there 2-3 years, although often elusive) and we found an owl pellet
on our front lawn yesterday.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--000325554c6e53648c04a1ae9b31

Hi,<br><br>We have Red-tails flying around above our property frequently. 2=
 years ago we found a nest just to the south, in some tall spruce just next=
 to the muddy pond between the road and the Eagle Landing subdivision. Yest=
erday Liz and I trecked down through the tangle of multiflora roses and int=
o the marsh below the trees, and a Red-tail was sitting on top of the previ=
ous nest tree and calling persistently. At the same time 2 male Cardinals w=
ere flying about in the lower trees around the edge and singing. Male Red-w=
inged blackbirds are also now setting up territories in that marsh, and the=
 one on our own property, and are frequent visitors to our feeders. A Sharp=
ie made a brief stop on one of our trees, took a quick pass at 2 Grackles, =
then flew on.<br>

they nested for several recent years close to the Valley Regional Hospital.=
 the nest at the W.edge of the Eagle Landing subdivision, and shortly after=
 I left, another, presumably its mate, swooped in in that direction. Got so=
me nice pictures without seeming to disturb them. There are several houses =
very close to the nest, and the local people there I have spoken to are ver=
y pleased with &quot;their&quot; eagle&#39;s nest.<br>

heard the Barred owl (?s) calling from the same area of woods, (they have b=
een resident there 2-3 years, although often elusive) and we found an owl p=
ellet on our front lawn yesterday.<br>

href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>######=

--000325554c6e53648c04a1ae9b31--