[NatureNS] Valley Birding

From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@eastlink.ca>
To: NaturenNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:39:38 -0300

Carol and I spent a couple of nights in Wolfville and did some birding.  We
saw the Eastern Phoebe in Kentville on Monday but not on Sunday when the
fishermen were right under the bridge.  There were 2 Belted Kingfishers
flying along the stream.

Belleisle Marsh on Monday yielded an American Bittern that flew up from a
ditch and two male Northern Harriers harassing each other.  The Canada geese
I saw did not have a snow goose with them but there were Northern
Shovellers, Blue-winged Teal and a male Gadwall there and Wilson's Snipes in
the air.  I only saw a couple of Tree Swallows in the area.

An American Woodcock flew up beside our car in Clarence.  There were at
least 10 Red-throated Loons in Hampton.  I haven't seen so many in one spot
before.  There was a pair of Harlequin Ducks at Port George and some Hooded
Mergansers at Victoriavale.

Don

Don MacNeill
donmacneill@eastlink.ca