[NatureNS] Mink stink; long

From: John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:43:25 -0300

To:  All

From:  John Sollows

Date: April 28/11

Yup, it's a messy story, one with which I have had some involvement.

It's unfair to accuse government departments of sweeping things under the
rug.  We brought the problem up with Environment N.S.  in 2008.  They
actually moved quickly to start monitoring the situation, and do have
competent staff.  That said, they certainly are under-resourced, and do the
best they can under challenging circumstances, which are not likely to
become less challenging under current financial circumstances.  Do we want
to pay more taxes to solve the problem?

The geographic distribution of the cyanobacterial blooms and high phosphate
levels cannot give 100% incontrovertible proof that mink farming is the main
culprit, but the circumstantial evidence is extremely strong; strong enough
when combined with common sense to convince me that it's time for all
involved to stop fighting, acknowledge that mink farms are strongly
implicated, and tackle the problem.  Many mink farmers comply already and
are good environmental citizens.  A smaller number are not and that,
combined with the sins of the past are likely to leave us with a problem for
years to come.

An employee of the mink breeders' association raised the possibility of
climate change, acid rain, and deforestation as possible causes.  Yes, they
may aggravate the situation, but he was laying red herrings and wasting
everyone's time.  These blooms NOT occur in nearby streams and lakes which
do not lie downstream from mink farms.

This situation is a beautiful example of why rural economic development
needs to be managed on the basis of catchment area.

In my book, mink farmers and their employees have a right to make a living,
but also an obligation to be good neighbours and look after the next
generation.