[NatureNS] nature observations Pictou Co. April 30, p.m.

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 15:43:15 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_Yd9P9Q6aELUwYXUyDBdzng)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
On Sat. afternoon, April 30 Charlie Kendell,, Rick Ferguson did some birding in the Thorburn, Woodfield, Avondale and Big I. area.

In Coalburn we saw 25+ Painted Turtles sunning on logs. That reminds me, I heard American Toad thrilling on Friday night (Apr. 29) from the old Westray mine site. We had a
Comma-type butterfly on the trail near Marsh Rd. in Coalburn and my first spring Wood Duck although others have seen them earlier than this in the county.

Birds were a little quiet in Woodburn with a dozen common species plus a male Merlin. The slopes of the hardwood woods there were carpeted in blooming Spring Beauties.

We took a route through the Piedmont Valley to Big I. and were really lucky to stumble onto a displaying male Ruffed Grouse with fanned tail and puffed up neck feathers.
His display was held for quite some time as he moved about 90 degrees in maybe 5-7 min. oblivious of the 3 cameras shooting dozens of frames at close range. We discovered the female in a tree over-hanging the road. Hope she was as impressed as we were!!

At Big I. we checked out a lone Black-bellied Plover closely (black arm pits). A pair of Northern Harriers were working the salt marsh and dunes. At the east end of the Island  behind Harmony Lane, pair of Merlin had a crow on a nest worked up vocally but it did not leave the nest. There appeared to be another crows nest in the area as well.
It the west end of the island, Charlie and Rick were photographing 2 Willets when Charlie put up a shorebird that did not budge until he was nearly on top of it. It was
amazingly well camouflaged and landed nearby where we could examine it in good detail. It gave us a little trouble at first as the plumage was in a change to breeding. It was
a Purple Sandpiper, not common in Pictou Co. and even less so in the spring. We took a number of good photos for the record.
We noted a number of the usually spring ducks and in particular a group of 13 Long-tailed Ducks in breeding plumage.
cheers
ken

PS Still 2 Tree Sparrows at my feeder this morning (May1) one singing.

--Boundary_(ID_Yd9P9Q6aELUwYXUyDBdzng)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On Sat. afternoon, April 30 Charlie Kendell,, Rick
Ferguson did some birding in the Thorburn, Woodfield, Avondale and Big I. area.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>In Coalburn we saw 25+
<STRONG>Painted&nbsp;Turtles</STRONG> sunning on logs. That reminds me, I heard
<STRONG>American Toad</STRONG> thrilling&nbsp;on Friday night (Apr.
29)&nbsp;from the old Westray mine site. We had a </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><STRONG>Comma-type</STRONG> butterfly on the trail
near Marsh Rd. in Coalburn and my first spring <STRONG>Wood Duck</STRONG>
although others have seen them earlier than this in the
county.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Birds were a little quiet in Woodburn with a dozen
common species plus a male <STRONG>Merlin</STRONG>. The slopes of the hardwood
woods there were carpeted in blooming <STRONG>Spring
Beauties</STRONG>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We took a route through the Piedmont&nbsp;Valley to
Big I. and were really lucky to stumble onto a displaying male <STRONG>Ruffed
Grouse</STRONG> with fanned tail and puffed up neck feathers. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>His display was held for quite some time as he
moved about 90 degrees in maybe 5-7 min. oblivious of the 3 cameras shooting
dozens of frames at close range. We discovered the female in a tree over-hanging
the road. Hope she was as impressed as we were!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Big I. we checked out a
lone&nbsp;<STRONG>Black-bellied Plover</STRONG> closely (black arm pits). A pair
of <STRONG>Northern Harriers</STRONG> were working the salt marsh and dunes. At
the east end of the Island&nbsp; behind Harmony Lane, pair of
<STRONG>Merlin</STRONG> had a crow on a nest worked up vocally but it did not
leave the nest. There appeared to be another crows nest in the area as well.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>It the west end of the island, Charlie and Rick
were photographing 2 <STRONG>Willets</STRONG> when Charlie put up a shorebird
that did not budge until he was nearly on top of it. It was</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>amazingly well camouflaged and landed nearby where
we could examine it in good detail. It gave us a little trouble at first as the
plumage was in a change to breeding. It was</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>a <STRONG>Purple Sandpiper</STRONG>, not common in
Pictou Co. and even less so in the spring. We&nbsp;took a number of good photos
for the record. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We noted a number of the usually spring ducks and
in particular a group of 13 <STRONG>Long-tailed Ducks</STRONG> in breeding
plumage. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>PS Still 2 Tree Sparrows at my feeder this morning
(May1) one singing. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_Yd9P9Q6aELUwYXUyDBdzng)--