[NatureNS] Female hummingbird

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 11:39:47 -0300

I had my first visual of a female hummingbird at one of my feeders here in
White Point, Queens about 1/2 hour ago. (May 3rd)  This is early for me. It
was a larger bird so am 99% sure it wasn't a male without colour on throat.
Yesterday we had to go to the valley briefly and several passed the car, I
even braked in Annapolis so I didn't hit one.
Sat. I had a  few minutes in town, heard swallows and looked down from Main
street into the parking lot. Much ado there.
There was quite a number of swallows, both tree and barn. (There are usually
swallows nesting in the light standards there). They were acting as though
they had freshly arrived. I checked Friday when we were in the parking lot
and there wasn't any sign of them yet. I came home to find 3 male
goldfinches tacking the sunflower seed container and three swallows arguing
over who uses the houses. This is the third year we have had a solitary male
bird trying to hold a house from a pair of birds.  He doesn't seem to be
interested in the female just the location. This year we switched the houses
around and the same thing happened.
I expected to see swallows around barns as we came down the New Germany road
(very bad shape in places) ...not a single sighting.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens