[NatureNS] Crows Attacking Squirrel

Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 12:43:42 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 5/5/2011 12:13 PM, Lois Codling wrote:
> I saw much the same thing yesterday in our backyard, Gayle.  There was
> only one Crow, and I was out feeding the birds, quite close by, when the
> ruckus started. Squirrel was running up and down tree trunks, along
> branches, quite desperately trying to escape the Crow, which chased
> after it time and time again. Squirrel did escape. I suspect it did have
> to do with food, just because I was out doing my bird-feeding.

* Red Squirrels are important nest predators, so there may be two things
going on here: the Crows may be chasing away potential predators of
their own nests, or they may be protecting the food resource that the
nests of other species of smaller Birds represent to both the Crows and
the Squirrels.

fred.