[NatureNS] Solitary Vireo

From: Sherman Williams <shermwms@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:20:36 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I had one singing this morning in Avonport (Horton Bluff). I must admit, it surprised me to hear one singing this soon. It's May when I record my first one singing.

CHIPPING SPARROW  singing. First seen nearly one week ago, singing April 29th. Again it's been first week of May when I've normally heard its sweet staccato.

PURPLE FINCH singing this morning in my feeder area.  First of the season.

YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS singing last 6 days.

Signs of spring abound,
things are happening all around,
....and it's still April.

Compared to most other years, I have the impression Spring is ahead of its average, here at Horton Bluff.

Sherman