[NatureNS] Birds in Alberta

Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:05:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: bev@magickcanoe.com
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Any chance they would have been Sandhill Cranes?  I did a quick check and see a couple of reports of large numbers around Edmonton in the past few days.  I spend winter in southeast Arizona near Whitewater Draw, a large playa where thousands of SHC overwinter.  During the day when they fly out from the playa to feed, they will often spend long periods of time circling at various altitudes over the range lands.  They do quite a bit of calling - a different sound which is a liitle hard to describe.  Their movement when circling is quite distinctive - some flying in straight lines, then switching to circling.  As there are often many hundreds in the air at one time, it seems amazing that they do not collide.  When I travel west across Canada in autumn, and then south through Montana, Idaho and Utah en route to Arizona, I often encounter large flocks doing their circling as they migrate.  I had a flock cross over me while camped out on the range lands of
 Grasslands National Park in southern Saskatchewan, so I think you could encounter them just about anywhere across the west.  I don't think they are noticed that often as they are often flying pretty high, but once you get used to seeing them, their distinctive behaviour will catch your eye immediately if they are far ahead above a highway.

Bev Wigney
Round Hill