[NatureNS] Birds in Alberta

Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 20:25:58 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_LpB6oq/VJf2tA5cI3PidxQ)

We saw a large flock of big white birds with black wing-tips circling
high overhead one time in Buffalo Pound P.P. in Sask.  Asked some native
workmen in the park if they knew what they were.  White Pelicans!  Our
first, many years ago.  We were flabbergasted.

Lois Codling

On 11/05/2011 12:21 PM, V Redden wrote:
> Hi everyone
> I was in Alberta this month and the day I was leaving I saw a huge
> (maybe hundreds) flock of birds circling overhead. I did not get a
> close look ( My binoculars were packed and they were injured, probably
> fatally, by Air Canada in my flight out, ) so I can only describe
> their behaviour. These were large birds with a wide wing span, they
> circled around each other like a flock of sandpipers in migration.
> They called but I can't describe that. Many swans and geese flocks had
> been migrating in the previous days. The flock stayed in the same area
> just circling and reforming. I can't discount gulls although I have
> never seen gulls do this.
> I would appreciate any comments.
> i know it's not NS related but many list subscribers are great
> travellers. Thanks for all the replies.
> Virginia Redden
> Port Howe
>
> --
> A spark burns down the forest - Ovambo Namibia

--Boundary_(ID_LpB6oq/VJf2tA5cI3PidxQ)

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    We saw a large flock of big white birds with black wing-tips
    circling high overhead one time in Buffalo Pound P.P. in Sask.&nbsp;
    Asked some native workmen in the park if they knew what they were.&nbsp;
    White Pelicans!&nbsp; Our first, many years ago.&nbsp; We were flabbergasted.<br>
    Lois Codling<br>
        I was in Alberta this month and the day I was leaving I saw a
        huge
        (maybe hundreds) flock of birds circling overhead. I did not get
        close look ( My binoculars were packed and they were injured,
        probably
        fatally, by Air Canada in my flight out, ) so I can only
        describe their
        behaviour. These were large birds with a wide wing span, they
        circled
        around each other like a flock of sandpipers in migration. They
        called
        but I can't describe that. Many swans and geese flocks had been
        migrating in the previous days. The flock stayed in the same
        area just
        circling and reforming. I can't discount gulls although I have
        never
        seen gulls do this. <br>
        I would appreciate any comments. <br>
        i know it's not NS related but many list subscribers are great
        travellers. Thanks for all the replies. <br>
        Virginia Redden<br>
        Port Howe<br>
      <pre class="moz-signature" cols="100">--
A spark burns down the forest - Ovambo Namibia</pre>
      <hr noshade="noshade" size="1">
        this message.<br>
        Checked by AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        05/10/11</p>

--Boundary_(ID_LpB6oq/VJf2tA5cI3PidxQ)--