[NatureNS] warbler, new to me and clear cut

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 21:07:23 -0300

--Alt-Boundary-10969.605614140

This afternoon a friend and I drove up to Higgens Mountain, Cumberland Co.,
which is in back of Folly Lake but we came in from the Londonderry end to
travel up the mountain. They have been doing extensive clear cutting up there
and there was the chipped up wood at the side of the road waiting to be picked
up. The forest floor was a muddy ripped up mess and worse of all the trees that
had been cut were at best the size of my wrist. I took a video of the clear cut.
The good part of the afternoon was seeing and photographing a Yellow
Rumped warbler. I have never seen one before and they are beautiful. I thought
the back was blue until I looked at my photos. The yellow patch on the head was
brilliant.
The Rough Grouse were also doing their drumming looking for a girl friend I
expect. Their seemed to be more then one of them doing it.
Heather
Heather Drope
Nova Scotia Wild Flora Society
www.nswildflora.ca