[NatureNS] Nova Scotia Monarch Butterflies

Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 16:02:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: bev@magickcanoe.com
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: donald_davis@yahoo.com

> Monarchs
> seem to be having a tough migration this spring.
> Considerably colder and
> damper in Ontario than last year. Would appreciate any
> reports on the Nature NS
> list about monarch butterfly sightings, or sightings of eggs
> or larva.

As it happens, I saw my first Monarch of the season here at Round Hill at around 4 this afternoon.  While working in the garden, I watched to see if the Tiger Swallowtail would return (it did, but just briefly).  A Monarch glided into and back out of the garden, too quickly to grab a camera.  However, back when I lived in Ontario, I used to rear and tag Monarchs, so am certain of the ID.

Regarding migration, on my way home from Arizona, I sent the following observation to Fred Schueler to post to the Eastern Ontario Nature List.  This might be of interest to Donald Davis:

April 5, 2011:  Last night I camped at Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge in southern Oklahoma. This morning, while traveling east and then northeast across the state, I encountered at least a dozen monarchs, all seeming to be flying on a northeast tack as well. If you look at a map, I was mainly on route 7 between Lawton and Kiowa.

Additional comment concerning the above note.  On my way through Texas and Oklahoma, I frequently drove through gale force winds. Rest stops in Oklahoma which had tornado shelters, had the doors in the "high winds" mode.  Conditions would have been extremely tough for Monarchs.  About a week after my crossing, the weather situation in the midwest deteriorated even further as some of the areas I had passed through were hit with flooding (Missouri, and southern Illinois) and then tornadoes.  Not good for migrating birds or insects.

Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS