[NatureNS] Bees

Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 07:19:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: bev@magickcanoe.com
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

> Whereas my observations are strickly non scientific - has
> anyone noticed a similar trend?
> Paul

*  I just have this year and last for comparison, but it does seem that  Bumblebees are plentiful this year.  In particular, I've been seeing a good number of what I believe to be Bombus ternarius (Tricolored Bumblebees)on the dandelion around here.  This is a photo of one taken May 20, 2011.
http://magickcanoe.com/bees/RH-bombus-ternarius.jpg
There's another larger bee with an almost all black abdomen, which I'm seeing a lot of as well.  Not sure of the ID, but maybe B. impatiens.

Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS