[NatureNS] Bumble Bees in NS

Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 18:20:31 -0300
From: "David McCorquodale" <David_McCorquodale@cbu.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: <bev@magickcanoe.com>

Bev's photo is a queen _Bombus ternarius_.  Once you see the red on the
abdomen the next feature to look for is the backward pointing arrow of
black on the thorax.  This photo shows it clearly.

The other species in Nova Scotia with red on the abdomen is _B.
rufocinctus_.  In this species the dark mark on the thorax is rounded,
not with a pointed back end.

A bee with limited yellow on the abdomen could be _Bombus impatiens_.
This species is pale yellow and only the first segment of the abdomen is
yellow.  On fresh specimens the black appears velvety because the hairs
are dens and short.

There nine species of bumble bees that are regularly seen in Nova
Scotia.  In addition there are 4 species of nest parasite bumble bees,
so about 13 species in total.  I have a simple key that includes some
photos to assist in identification of NS bumble bees that is available
to anyone who would like it.  There are some tricky identifications
(among B. sandersoni, perplexus and vagans for example), but most can be
done easily.

It is not easy to ascertain populations of bumble bees at this time of
year (late May).  There are only queens now.  Each queen attempts to
start a nest. Queens are large compared to the workers that will be
around later in the summer.  The first workers are less than a third the
size of the queens.  By mid-August the workers that emerge are much
large, almost as large as the queens.  A successful nest will have  a
few hundred workers in mid-August.  Therefore seeing one bee now will
translate into a few hundred in late July, or none if the nest is
unsuccessful.

_Bombus ternarius_ and _B. impatiens_ are two common species in Nova
Scotia now.  When I moved to Nova Scotia in 1990 there were no records
of _B. impatiens_.  This is a species that is and was common in southern
Ontario and southern Quebec.  It is also used in greenhouses for
pollination.  In the early 1990s _Bombus terricola_ was common, more
than 20% of all the bumble bees I saw in Cape Breton.  In the past five
years I have seen fewer than 10 specimens, out of many hundreds of
bumble bees identified.  The message here is that some bumble bees are
more common now and others are very rare compared to what they were less
than 20 years ago.

Cory Sheffield has produced a very good checklist of the  bees of Nova
Scotia and would be interested in hearing about which species of bees
are in various places in Nova Scotia.

If you are interested in a copy of the simple key for bumblebees, please
send me an email privately, I will send it to you.

David McCorquodale
Biology, Cape Breton University
david_mccorquodale@cbu.ca