[NatureNS] Conrad's Beach, low tide today

From: "David Schlosberg" <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 21:10:03 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01CC1FD7.1C224760

At around 4:00 this afternoon the tide was still quite low.  We were =
surprised at how much sand has moved in to the beach recently.  We could =
walk halfway out to Fox Point before hitting much rock, and even after =
that there was a lot of sand between the rocks, so walking was =
relatively painless.  There were about 20 cormorants on the point and a =
large flock of ducks in and near the surf off the point.  They were =
mostly eiders, but we saw a few surf scoters with them.  They were =
diving so actively that we only got glimpses.
There was a small flock of semi-palmated sandpipers on the shore--only =
five.  We didn't see any piping plovers.  Has anyone else seen them?  =
There were willets active in the marsh.
Jane&Dave Schlosberg
------=_NextPart_000_000F_01CC1FD7.1C224760

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>At around 4:00 this afternoon the tide =
was still=20
quite low.&nbsp; We were surprised at how much sand has moved in to the =
beach=20
recently.&nbsp; We could walk halfway out to Fox Point before hitting =
much rock,=20
and even after that there was a lot of sand between the rocks, so =
walking was=20
relatively painless.&nbsp; There were about 20 =
<STRONG>cormorants</STRONG> on=20
the point and a large flock of ducks in and near the surf off the=20
point.&nbsp;&nbsp;They were mostly <STRONG>eiders</STRONG>, but we saw a =
few=20
<STRONG>surf scoters</STRONG> with them.&nbsp; They were diving so =
actively that=20
we only got glimpses.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>There was a small flock of =
semi-palmated sandpipers=20
on the shore--only five.&nbsp; We didn't see any piping plovers.&nbsp; =
Has=20
anyone else seen them?&nbsp; There were <STRONG>willets</STRONG> active =
in the=20
marsh.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Jane&amp;Dave =
Schlosberg</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01CC1FD7.1C224760--