[NatureNS] Swiftwatch in Truro - 2(3) birds

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 09:46:22 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_ZcofGrPj7TJRwDlJwMgXjQ)

Wendy and I drove to Truro on the evening of May 30 and arrived just in time to check out the swifts on the campus of NSAC in Truro. We parked in the parking lot close to the Bernard Jackson Alpine Rock Garden.
Arrival time: 8:40 pm.
3 Chimney Swifts flew overhead at 8:48 pm.. They flew around for a few seconds and then disappeared.  A minute later (8:49 pm) one bird entered the chimney. A second bird entered at 8:50 pm.  The third bird never came back.  There was no more activity to 9:15 pm when we left.
In the half hour we were watching and waiting , we spoke with several people out for an evening stroll who recalled the 'good old days' when the sky was 'dark with birds'.  Wendy and I had the experience of watching hundreds of swifts enter the chimney around 5:00 - 5:30 pm one rainy, heavily overcast day in early June several years back. Our intention then was to check out the Garden, not to swiftwatch!

One interesting note is that the swifts entered a different chimney on Monday evening than they had used on that earlier occasion. On Monday, they were using the square chimney at the back part of the Hancock Veterinary Bldg located at 65 River Road.  Both chimneys are easily viewed from beside the Garden.

Bob McDonald
Halifax

--Boundary_(ID_ZcofGrPj7TJRwDlJwMgXjQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY
style="WORD-WRAP: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space"
bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Wendy and I drove to Truro on the evening of May 30 and
arrived just in time to check out the swifts on the campus of NSAC in Truro. We
parked in the parking lot close to the Bernard Jackson Alpine Rock
Garden.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Arrival time: 8:40 pm.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>3 Chimney Swifts flew overhead at 8:48 pm.. They flew around
for a few seconds and then disappeared.&nbsp; A minute later (8:49 pm) one bird
entered the chimney. A second bird entered at 8:50 pm.&nbsp; The third bird
never came back.&nbsp; There was no more activity to 9:15 pm when we
left.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>In the half hour we were watching and waiting , we spoke with
several people out for an evening stroll who recalled the 'good old days' when
the sky was 'dark with birds'.&nbsp; Wendy and I had the experience of watching
hundreds of swifts enter the chimney around 5:00 - 5:30 pm one rainy, heavily
overcast day in early June several years back. Our intention then was to check
out the Garden, not to swiftwatch!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>One interesting note is that the swifts entered a different
chimney on Monday evening than they had used on that earlier occasion. On
Monday, they were using the square chimney at the back part of the Hancock
Veterinary Bldg located at 65 River Road.&nbsp; Both chimneys are easily viewed
from beside the Garden.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Bob McDonald</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Halifax</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_ZcofGrPj7TJRwDlJwMgXjQ)--