[NatureNS] The Birds of the Cole Harbour Heritage Park and Other Highlights

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 20:27:44 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_+I2vTcj1IuV/SruVdSz/qQ)

On May 31 while scoring my first Olive-sided Flycatchers of the year I neglected to mention that alongside the Old Annapolis Royal Road Trail there was a Painted Trillium, in full blossom, a albeit small example.  This is  probably due to the shady and cool forest habitat it often seems to favour.  http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Wildflowers3/0117.html
Today I spotted a Pink Lady's Slipper Orchid at Oakfield Provincial Park.

On June 1 I took advantage of the fine weather to enjoy almost four hours in the early morning sunshine at the Cole Harbour Heritage Park.  This area is mostly open grasslands and short brushy areas with some re-grown mixed woodland but the lack of bird diversity is made up by the abundance of forest edge, open country and woodland birds.  Scroll through the warblers here: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers5/0143.html and the flycatchers and thrushes here: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings4/0112.html

Three birds have been a nemesis to me, photography wise, due to their nature of either being hyper active or a resident of the forest canopy; the Nashville Warbler(hyper active and a canopy singer), Blue-headed Vireo(another canopy singer of the dark woodlands) and Alder Flycatcher.  All three birds are easy to find by sight and sound but they are tricky to photograph.  Here's my three recent attempts: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers5/0163.html  http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings4/0107.html
http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings4/0116.html

The journal record of all this stuff is here: http://hanstoom.com/Journal/Page4.html

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_+I2vTcj1IuV/SruVdSz/qQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On May 31 while scoring my first
<STRONG>Olive-sided Flycatchers</STRONG> of the year I neglected to mention that
alongside the Old Annapolis Royal Road Trail there was a <STRONG>Painted
Trillium</STRONG>, in full blossom, a albeit small example.&nbsp; This is&nbsp;
probably due to the shady and cool forest habitat it often seems to
favour.&nbsp; <A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Wildflowers3/0117.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Wildflowers3/0117.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Today I spotted a <STRONG>Pink Lady's Slipper
Orchid</STRONG> at Oakfield Provincial Park. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On June 1 I took advantage of the fine weather to
enjoy almost four hours in the early morning sunshine at the Cole Harbour
Heritage Park.&nbsp; This area is mostly open grasslands and short brushy areas
with some re-grown mixed woodland but the lack of bird diversity is made up by
the abundance of forest edge, open country and&nbsp;woodland birds.&nbsp; Scroll
through the warblers here: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers5/0143.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers5/0143.html</A>&nbsp;and
the flycatchers and thrushes here: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings4/0112.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings4/0112.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Three birds have been a nemesis to me, photography
wise, due to their nature of either being hyper active or a resident of the
forest canopy; the <STRONG>Nashville Warbler</STRONG>(hyper active and a canopy
singer), <STRONG>Blue-headed Vireo(</STRONG>another canopy singer&nbsp;of the
dark woodlands)&nbsp;and <STRONG>Alder Flycatcher</STRONG>.&nbsp; All three
birds are easy to find by sight and sound but they are tricky to
photograph.&nbsp; Here's my three recent attempts: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers5/0163.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers5/0163.html</A>&nbsp;
<A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings4/0107.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings4/0107.html</A>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings4/0116.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/FlycatchersToWaxwings4/0116.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The journal record of all this stuff is here: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/Journal/Page4.html">http://hanstoom.com/Journal/Page4.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_+I2vTcj1IuV/SruVdSz/qQ)--