[NatureNS] Red Phalarope, Red Crossbill and Eastern Kingbird

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 19:55:33 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_ZFP/MS9YRKyKGDDbHkQM/A)

On this evening's walk we spotted an adult male Red Phalarope in 95% breeding plumage.  White is just beginning to show under the wing and the bill has lost some of its yellow, but otherwise it's a beautiful example of a beautiful bird.  This species is extremely rare on the beach out this way. It was foraging on the kelp around the pond at Sandy Cove's beach. I'll put up a bunch of photos tomorrow. There was also an Eastern Kingbird in the nearby trees and freshly fledged Yellow-rumped Warblers were working the stacked kelp heaps.

Yesterday I was surprised and delighted to have an adult male Red Crossbill on our sunflower seed feeder by the kitchen window. This is not what I expect to see out here in June.

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_ZFP/MS9YRKyKGDDbHkQM/A)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On&nbsp;this evening's walk we spotted an adult
male <STRONG>Red Phalarope</STRONG> in 95% breeding plumage.&nbsp; White is just
beginning to show under the wing and the bill has lost some of its yellow, but
otherwise it's a beautiful example of a beautiful bird.&nbsp; This species is
extremely rare on the beach out this way. It was foraging on the&nbsp;kelp
around the pond at Sandy Cove's beach. I'll put up a bunch of photos tomorrow.
There was also an <STRONG>Eastern Kingbird</STRONG> in the nearby trees and
freshly fledged <STRONG>Yellow-rumped Warblers</STRONG> were working the stacked
kelp heaps.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Yesterday I was surprised and delighted to have an
adult male <STRONG>Red Crossbill</STRONG> on our sunflower seed feeder by the
kitchen window. This is not what I expect to see out here in June.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_ZFP/MS9YRKyKGDDbHkQM/A)--