[NatureNS] Amherst Point Bird Sanctuary

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 13:05:52 +0000

--_d36555aa-4d4c-400c-a3cf-c77a1163eca2_

David Walmark and I took a run on Sunday to Amherst Point Bird Sanctuary.  =
We were surprised to see 33 bald eagles at what I can only figure out was t=
he Shubenacadie River.  There is no signage for the river along the highway=
. =20
=20
At Folly Mountain it was like winter=2C but that produced Lincoln's sparrow=
=2C mourning warbler and bank swallows were also present.
=20
Near Folly Mountain by the woods road with the brook near the main road whi=
ch is always a stop on the field trip it was good to see that a mourning wa=
rbler has returned there and least flycatcher was easily seen.
=20
At Wentworth Park a singing rose-breasted grosbeak was great and a brief lo=
ok was pleasant.  We had the eastern phoebe there and yellow-bellied flycat=
cher.
=20
At Amherst Point there were the usual sora rails=2C five black terns=2C nor=
thern shovelers=2C eight northern pintails=2C three American bitterns=2C bl=
ue-winged teal and the other usuals.  Just before the backside of the marsh=
 area there is a house on the left with eight cliff swallow nests and the o=
ccupants were feeding the females on the nest. =20
=20
Birds dropped into our lap litterly on this trip.  We had 71 species.  Davi=
d added over 20 to his year list and I had 12 new species.  It was a good d=
ay with blowing wind=2C which kept the blackflies away.  I'll send a more d=
etailed list when time avails.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport 		 	   		  =

--_d36555aa-4d4c-400c-a3cf-c77a1163eca2_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
David Walmark and I took a run on Sunday to Amherst Point Bird Sanctuary.&n=
bsp=3B We were surprised to see 33 bald eagles at what I can only figure ou=
t was the Shubenacadie River.&nbsp=3B There is no signage for the river alo=
ng the highway.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Folly Mountain it was like winter=2C but that produced Lincoln's sparrow=
=2C mourning warbler and bank swallows were also present.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Near Folly Mountain by the woods road with the brook near the main road whi=
ch is always a stop on the field trip it was good to see that a mourning wa=
rbler has returned there and least flycatcher was easily seen.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Wentworth Park a singing rose-breasted grosbeak was great and a brief lo=
ok was pleasant.&nbsp=3B We had the eastern phoebe there and yellow-bellied=
 flycatcher.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Amherst Point there were the usual sora rails=2C five black terns=2C nor=
thern shovelers=2C eight northern pintails=2C three American bitterns=2C bl=
ue-winged teal and the other usuals.&nbsp=3B Just before the backside of th=
e marsh area there is a house on the left with eight cliff swallow nests an=
d the occupants were feeding the females on the nest.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Birds dropped into our lap litterly on this trip.&nbsp=3B We had 71 species=
.&nbsp=3B David added over 20 to his year list and I had 12 new species.&nb=
sp=3B It was a good day with blowing wind=2C which kept the blackflies away=
.&nbsp=3B I'll send a more detailed list when time avails.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_d36555aa-4d4c-400c-a3cf-c77a1163eca2_--