[NatureNS] name of fairy-shrimp in Blomidon Park woodland pond

Cc: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 20:17:43 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Sorry this has taken me so long to remember to look it up, but the
name of the fairy shrimp in the woodland pond of Blomidon Prov. Park
(was it Stephen Shaw who asked?) is Eubranchipus intricatus (should
be in Italics, of course).  And the name should also include the
authority and date, which in this case is Hartland-Rowe, 1967.

  This species is widely distributed in Canada west of Nova Scotia,
from Quebec west to B.C., but its discovery in May of 1988 in this
pond was the first confirmed record for fairy shrimp in Nova Scotia.
Since then the same species was found just north of Somerset School
northeast of Berwick, also in King's County, Nova Scotia, but nowhere
else.  Annual field trips to the Blomidon Park pond in late May have
confirmed the continual presence of this species up to 2011.

The original identification to species was made by Graham Daborn of
Acadia University, and this discovery in 1988 was by Pierre
Taschereau of Dalhousie University, who was leading a park field trip
in which I was a participant.  I rapidly collected some specimens,
hopefully with an appropriate permit from Dept. of Lands and Forests
(now Natural Resources), and delivered them to Daborn.  He identified
them to species, and then documented the discovery with a paper
published in Canadian Field Naturalist journal, Vol 105, issue 4, pp.
571-572, of 1992, written by Daborn with co-authors Wolford and
Taschereau.

This paper also states that the arctic fairy shrimp, Branchinecta
paludosa (Muller, 1788), was apparently represented in a collection
received in December of 1928, with the locality given as "Taylor
Harbor, Nova Scotia", which researcher R.W. Dexter in 1958 thought
may have been really Taylor Head on the Eastern Shore.  Daborn did a
search there in 1975 (unpublished) but found no fairy shrimps.