[NatureNS] Desaturated 180 Degree Double Rainbow Photo

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:58:11 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_OcAPcjvhzkJ0JwLlWMP4MQ)

When analyzing photographs colour can sometimes be our enemy so I've desaturated the first rainbow photo to black and white.  The visible brightness of the image is clearly brightest below or within the primary rainbow and darkest between rainbows and the sky above the outer rainbow.  The visible brightness in the space between rainbows and the background sky above the rainbows appears to my naked eye as identical.  No dark band is visible to my eyes anywhere.

The overall effect of the desaturated image is much like a giant eyeball with the space from the inner rainbow skyward becoming the imaginary eyelid.  The visible brightness below the lower rainbow is stunning and much brighter than the background sky as seen above the outer rainbow.

http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Visions3/0179.html

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_OcAPcjvhzkJ0JwLlWMP4MQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>When analyzing photographs colour can sometimes be
our enemy so I've desaturated the first rainbow&nbsp;photo to black and
white.&nbsp; The visible brightness of the image is clearly brightest&nbsp;below
or within&nbsp;the primary rainbow and darkest between rainbows and the sky
above the outer rainbow.&nbsp; The visible brightness in the space between
rainbows and the background sky above the rainbows appears to my naked eye as
identical.&nbsp; No dark band is visible to my eyes anywhere.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The overall effect of the desaturated image is much
like a giant eyeball with the space from the inner rainbow
skyward&nbsp;becoming&nbsp;the imaginary eyelid.&nbsp; The visible brightness
below the lower rainbow is stunning and much brighter than the background sky as
seen above the outer rainbow.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Visions3/0179.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Visions3/0179.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_OcAPcjvhzkJ0JwLlWMP4MQ)--