[NatureNS] Desaturated 180 Degree Double Rainbow Photo

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:20:01 -0300

Hi All,                June 14, 2011
    With regard to the missing dark band, and shooting from the hip, it is
logical to assume that the ideal display (crisp primary rainbow, dark band
and vivid secondary rainbow) will be seen only when the water droplets are
small enought to be perfectly spherical.

    Based on spectra seen around waterfalls and sprinklers this size would
be drizzle to mist. Presumably these small droplets that give rise to
rainbows are produced by splatter when larger raindrops collide with
slower-falling smaller raindrops. Thus rainbows are seen just after a rain
event. [In contrast, small droplets produced by condensation would have poor
optical properties due to a high content of condensation nuclei; e.g. the
dull 360o rainbows seen when one flies above clouds. ]

    Rainbows are transient and small droplets without condensation nuclei
 would also be transient due to increase in vapor pressure with decrease in
size.

    As droplet size increases and shape becomes less spherical then the
change in display would logically form a continuum from ideal, through e.g.
clear primary rainbow with faint secondary rainbow and no dark band to faint
smeared primary rainbow only followed by no rainbow at all.

    Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville