[NatureNS] June 11, 2011, Wentworth Falls and Wentworth Park, Wentworth,

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:58:31 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_Pj+fcrjYdYfheu5le/J95A)

Laura and I had our obligatory weekend picnic at Wentworth Provincial Park on this day thanks to a
sunny forecast.  We walked the trails which are actually cross country ski trails leading out of Wentworth Provincial Park.  One crosses the foot bridge and then traverses a large meadow.  At the end of the meadow you'll find the trails that lead off in numerous directions.  The trails are wide and well
groomed. We hoped to find birds but the lateness of the day had many species silent. There were a
lot of Canadian Tiger Swallowtail Butterflies in the area.

After our hike and picnic we stopped at nearby Wentworth Falls. The water level was low which is
surprising considering all the rain we've had this spring.  The falls actually flow out of a cave about 50
metres above the base of the falls.  You can get to this cave by scrambling up the trail on the left
side of the falls. The cave is probably man made, possibly blasted out by the operators of the rail road
that runs above the falls.  This environmental mutilation was likely done to drain a bog or lake, just to
make laying railroad track easier and less expensive, but this is just speculation. At the entrance of
the cave one can see the opening at the other end, perhaps about 150 metres distant. If the water is
low it's easy to walk through the cave with a flashlight and appropriate footwear. The slippery algae
and mosses that are plentiful near the cave openings do not exist within the cave so footing is
relatively easy.  Laura and I did not go through to the other side but in a photograph attached you can
see the distant opening of the cave. It would be interesting to know the story of this cave/tunnel.  A
portion of the water flowing over Wentworth Falls does not come through the cave but shoots out an
opening in solid rock.

http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Visions3/0187.html

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_Pj+fcrjYdYfheu5le/J95A)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19046">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN
style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">&nbsp;<?xml:namespace
prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN class=text><SPAN
style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Laura
and I had our obligatory weekend picnic at Wentworth Provincial Park on this day
thanks to a </SPAN></SPAN><SPAN
style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><BR><SPAN
class=text>sunny forecast. &nbsp;We walked the trails which are actually cross
country ski trails leading out of Wentworth </SPAN><SPAN class=text>Provincial
Park. &nbsp;One crosses the foot bridge and then traverses a large meadow.
&nbsp;At the end of the </SPAN></SPAN><SPAN
style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><SPAN
class=text>meadow you'll find the trails that lead off in numerous directions.
&nbsp;The trails are wide and well </SPAN><BR><SPAN class=text>groomed. We hoped
to find birds but the lateness of the day had many species silent. There were a
</SPAN><BR><SPAN class=text>lot of Canadian Tiger Swallowtail Butterflies in the
area.</SPAN><BR><BR><SPAN class=text>After our hike and picnic we stopped at
nearby Wentworth Falls. The water level was low which is </SPAN><BR><SPAN
class=text>surprising considering all the rain we've had this spring. &nbsp;The
falls actually flow out of a cave about 50 </SPAN><BR><SPAN class=text>metres
above the base of the falls. &nbsp;You can get to this cave by scrambling up the
trail on the left </SPAN><BR><SPAN class=text>side of the falls. The cave is
probably man made, possibly blasted out by the operators of the rail road
</SPAN><BR><SPAN class=text>that runs above the falls. &nbsp;This environmental
mutilation was likely done to drain a bog or lake, just to </SPAN><BR><SPAN
class=text>make laying railroad track easier and less expensive, but this is
just speculation. At the entrance of </SPAN><BR><SPAN class=text>the cave one
can see the opening at the other end, perhaps about 150 metres distant. If the
water is </SPAN><BR><SPAN class=text>low it's easy to walk through the cave with
a flashlight and appropriate footwear. The slippery algae </SPAN><BR><SPAN
class=text>and mosses that are plentiful near the cave openings do not exist
within the cave so footing is </SPAN><BR><SPAN class=text>relatively easy.
&nbsp;Laura and I did not go through to the other side but in a photograph
attached&nbsp;you can </SPAN><BR><SPAN class=text>see the distant opening of the
cave. It would be interesting to know the story of this cave/tunnel. &nbsp;A
</SPAN><BR><SPAN class=text>portion of the water flowing over Wentworth Falls
does not come through the cave but shoots out an </SPAN><BR><SPAN
class=text>opening in solid rock.</SPAN><BR
style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR
style="mso-special-character: line-break"><o:p><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Visions3/0187.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Visions3/0187.html</A></o:p></SPAN></P></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_Pj+fcrjYdYfheu5le/J95A)--