[NatureNS] Comments on New E-bird - ATV Dangerous and Common Terns

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:46:44 +0000

--_523a7733-c78c-42a6-a225-1099ffe06d8c_

I guess I'll start with the bird related comments.  I forgot to post that i=
t looks like roughly 40 common terns are attempting to nest on the little i=
sland off of the Corkum's Island Road again this year after an absence last=
 year.
=20
I at this point do not like the new ebird format.  I find it very cumbersom=
e and time consuming compared to entering data on the previous system the w=
ay it is laid out for entry of species with numbers.  I also find it hard o=
n the eyes and not clear to focus.  Long time entry on the site would cause=
 eye strain now to most people I believe.  As for the rest of it time will =
tell=2C I'll have to play around with it and see what I think.  I'm sure th=
at with the change there are some improvements there. =20
=20
Lastly=2C the Dynamite Trail was like the trans Canada for ATV activity on =
June 11.  Most of the operators are great and slow down and wave when going=
 by.  These are responsible drivers and I do not have any beefs with them a=
s it is a multi-use trail and they have every right to be there.  I do beli=
eve that the ATV group should patrol and should have the right to levy fine=
s on those who are abusing the trail.  There were a number of young individ=
uals and one group of adults that were going way too fast.  With bikers and=
 walkers on the trail someone is going to eventually get hit or killed with=
 the types of actions that I witnessed.  This would not be good for all par=
ties involved=2C especially the ATVers.  One of the main areas of concern w=
ith this is on the backside of Mahone Bay where they drive down the highway=
 and then divert onto the trail heading back towards Mahone Bay=2C but goin=
g like a bat out of ..... so to speak and the other area is off the trail a=
t Clearland. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport  		 	   		  =

--_523a7733-c78c-42a6-a225-1099ffe06d8c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
I guess I'll start with the bird&nbsp=3Brelated comments.&nbsp=3B I forgot =
to post that it looks like roughly 40 common terns are attempting to nest o=
n the little island off of the Corkum's Island Road again this year after a=
n absence last year.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I at this point do not like the new ebird format.&nbsp=3B I find it very cu=
mbersome and time consuming compared to entering data on the previous syste=
m the way it is&nbsp=3Blaid out for entry of species with numbers.&nbsp=3B =
I also find it hard on the eyes and not clear to focus.&nbsp=3B Long time e=
ntry on the site would cause eye strain now to most people I believe.&nbsp=
=3B As for the rest of it time will tell=2C I'll have to play around with i=
t and see what I think.&nbsp=3B I'm sure that with the change there are som=
e improvements there.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Lastly=2C the Dynamite Trail was like the trans Canada for ATV activity on =
June 11.&nbsp=3B Most of the operators are great and slow down and wave whe=
n going by.&nbsp=3B These are responsible drivers and I do not have any bee=
fs with them as it is a multi-use trail and they have every right to be the=
re.&nbsp=3B I do believe that the ATV group should patrol and should have t=
he right to levy fines on those who are abusing the trail.&nbsp=3B There we=
re a number of young individuals and one group of adults that were going wa=
y too fast.&nbsp=3B With bikers and walkers on the trail someone is going t=
o eventually get hit or killed with the types of actions that I witnessed.&=
nbsp=3B This would not be good for all parties involved=2C especially the A=
TVers.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BOne of the main areas of concern with this is on the =
backside of&nbsp=3BMahone Bay where they drive down the&nbsp=3Bhighway and =
then divert onto the trail heading back towards Mahone Bay=2C but going lik=
e a bat out of ..... so to speak and the other area is off the trail at Cle=
arland.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_523a7733-c78c-42a6-a225-1099ffe06d8c_--