[NatureNS] Hermit Thrush at our feeders

From: Patrick Giffin <p_giffin@hotmail.com>
To: NATURENS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 18:10:11 -0300

--_91cd49ef-8f14-4d5d-8317-677f4f78f746_

Hi:
It is not unusual for us to see Hermit Thrush & Veery in the woodland behin=
d our residence in Kingston: however=2C we hear them more often that see th=
em.
This year=2C for the first time=2C we have=2C on 4 occasions seen a Hermit =
Thrush under our BO Sunflower Seed and Nyger Feeders.
More often=2C they seem only to investigate=2C not consume the seeds on the=
 ground=3B perhaps sample the Nyger and depart. More interesting is that=2C=
 they do not fly in=2C but appear walking out of the woodland=2C then acros=
s about 20 metres of poor lawn to either sample or not consume seeds.  The =
Juncos=2C Goldfinches=2C Song and White-throated Sparrows that may be prese=
nt seem to be indifferent to the Hermit Thrushes arrival. The Thrushes lose=
 interest after a few minutes and depart flying in the direction of the woo=
dland or walk a short distance into the cedar hedge that seperates our land=
 from the neighbours.
Perhaps it is a social visit=2C not a feeding excursion.=20
The smaller species do not seem intimidated by these unusual and irreqular =
visitors.
Cheers=2C Barbara and Pat 		 	   		  =

--_91cd49ef-8f14-4d5d-8317-677f4f78f746_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi:<BR>
It is not unusual for us to see Hermit Thrush &amp=3B Veery in the woodland=
 behind our residence in Kingston: however=2C we hear them more often that =
see them.<BR>
This year=2C for the first time=2C we have=2C on 4 occasions seen a Hermit =
Thrush under our BO Sunflower Seed and Nyger Feeders.<BR>
More often=2C they seem only to investigate=2C not consume the seeds on the=
 ground=3B perhaps sample the Nyger and depart. More interesting is that=2C=
 they do not fly in=2C but appear walking out of the woodland=2C then acros=
s about 20 metres of poor lawn to either sample or not&nbsp=3Bconsume seeds=
.&nbsp=3B The Juncos=2C Goldfinches=2C Song&nbsp=3Band White-throated Sparr=
ows that may be present seem to be indifferent to the Hermit Thrushes arriv=
al. The Thrushes lose interest after a few minutes and depart flying in the=
 direction of the woodland or walk a short distance into the cedar hedge th=
at seperates our land from the neighbours.<BR>
Perhaps it is&nbsp=3Ba social visit=2C not a feeding excursion.&nbsp=3B<BR>
The smaller species do not seem intimidated by these unusual and irreqular =
visitors.<BR>
Cheers=2C Barbara and Pat<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_91cd49ef-8f14-4d5d-8317-677f4f78f746_--