[NatureNS] squirrels

From: John Liddard <jliddard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:18:26 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

My wife and I are also very fond of squirrels. I've built a feeder specifically for the squirrels to ensure the bluejays don't raid all the peanuts we put out.  As a result we have about 4 or 5 different squirrels visiting.  Once one starts observing there are may characteristics that differentiate each squirrel.  You've already discovered one.  The colouring and fur patterns are definitely different.  We have one young squirrel who's fur is distinctively whiter than the others.  Another has a black streak along the border of the red and white fur.  We also notice variations in their ears, nose and even head shape. Lastly, don't forget personality.   All of our squirrels behave differently.  Some are very territorial, and will chase off any other squirrel approaching the feeder, some have a favourite spot that they like to sit at when they eat their peanuts.  Others appear very tame and comfortable with our presence near the feeder.  We have one squirrel that just loves moving peanuts from the feeder and into our BBQ, that's all he does.  There are also two squirrels that like to challenge each other.  One guards the box and the other sneaks by him and gets a peanut from his secret stash in the BBQ but then runs right by the other in his departure as if to show off.  They can be a lot of fun to watch.  We usually have a web cam set up on Ustream broadcasting their antics.  When the camera is off air there are a few of pre recorded videos that you can view.  You can look at these at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rocco-cam

Hope this helps you recognize the differences between your squirrels.

Sincerely,

John