[NatureNS] Tree Swallows question

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:34:32 -0300
From: Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Marg,
We may have had a similar event yesterday.
We have two tree swallow nests in our 6 acre field which we have let go
to grass and wildflowers.  It seems to be very productive in insects.
The swallows spent a fair time hawking over it and both boxes have
families in them with young feeding or fledged. (I do not disturb the
boxes this time of the year) Yesterday at one point we had 9 or 10
swallows zooming over the field which seem to be too many to account for
just the resident familys.  This is the third year I have had the boxes
up so there could be old family around.  Next year I will add a box or two.

Larry Bogan
Cambridge Station.