[NatureNS] American Redstart (presume) Attacking Picture Window

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:03:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kathleen MacAulay <roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0-1951677561-1308844982=:93876

You're right, this sounds exactly like a bird trying to fight off its reflection. A Redstart doing this is a first for me - normally I hear about cardinals, robins and Song Sparrows engaging in this behaviour. In any case, when a bird is attacking its reflection or striking a window, putting something on the inside of the window is not an effective way to stop it. Closing the drapes can help stop windowstrikes where a bird perceives a passage through the house between two windows, but it will probably make this window moremirror-like. You need to stop the bird seeing its reflection, which means putting something on the outside. You can cover the window by tacking up an old bedsheet, newspaper, painter's drop cloth etc or by wiping a bar of soap on the outside of the window to make it temporarily opaque. You could also hang reflective streamers in front of the window, but you'd need a lot of them.

One other option that will still let light in but will definitely stop the behaviour and stop any other birds flying into the window is a film called Collidescape. It looks totally opaque and nonreflective from the outside but lets light through to the inside with no problem. Here's a link to a page describing it: http://www.flap.org/film.htm The downside is that it's a bit expensive, and might not even arrive in time to stop this particular bird, but I think it's a great idea for anyone who has a problem window or two.

If she absolutely won't cover the window with anything, it's hard to say how long it will last. Some birds leave off after a few days, while others persist for a week or more. I don't think he's likely to hurt himself, but he is definitely wasting his finite time and energy in a futile battle to drive off the "intruder", which could negatively affect not only his survival, but also that of any young he may have.

Kathleen MacAulay
Milford Station