[NatureNS] Nature Photos

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:29:00 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Angus,
The smallest pic is a bit too small to see, but probably is not a
syrphid -- the antennae don't look right.  On a guess, thought
probably a species of Conopidae (`thick-headed flies`).  Try genus
Physocephala as in
http://bugguide.net/node/view/7041
and also try numbers 112730 and 82191 there.  These all look very
similar to yours.
A peculiarity of Bugguide is that it usually doesn't show all the
examples of that species or genus, even if it shows >1 example on the
first page, 'Conopidae'.  So search next for Physocephala and it may
have more examples, though I didn't check that in this case.
Nice insect pics, as always.
Steve