[NatureNS] ground-nesting birds in hayfields; bear photos

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:58:55 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--90e6ba6e846a72cda804a6ed781a

All,

I have been very fortunate to be able to work on the lands on which the
local convent sits (see: http://www.themarthas.com/). I have done both owl
work and beetle work there. This morning, I was asked if it would be ok for
them to cut the hay at this point...it's earlier than usual but they want to
reduce the impact on the ground-nesting birds. Being somewhat out of my
realm, I told them that I thought it was early, and that mid/late July would
be safe(r). Can anyone add anything to this?

I have posted a few of the shots of the young bears at my feeder:
http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/feederbears/  Enjoy. Evidently, the
bears were so disgruntled at me taking down my seed feeders, they took down
and smashed (crunched?) my hummingbird feeder. I took pictures of that, too,
but I can't find the cable to my camera just now.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--90e6ba6e846a72cda804a6ed781a

e lands on which the local convent sits (see:=A0<a href=3D"http://www.thema=
rthas.com/">http://www.themarthas.com/</a>). I have done both owl work and =
beetle work there. This morning, I was asked if it would be ok for them to =
cut the hay at this point...it&#39;s earlier than usual but they want to re=
duce the impact on the ground-nesting birds. Being somewhat out of my realm=
, I told them that I thought it was early, and that mid/late July would be =
safe(r). Can anyone add anything to this?</div>

my feeder:=A0<a href=3D"http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/feederbears/">h=
ttp://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/feederbears/</a>=A0 Enjoy. Evidently, th=
e bears were so disgruntled at me taking down my seed feeders, they took do=
wn and smashed (crunched?) my hummingbird feeder. I took pictures of that, =
too, but I can&#39;t find the cable to my camera just now.</div>

--90e6ba6e846a72cda804a6ed781a--