[NatureNS] Large Yellow Underwing (Noctua pronuba) Moth

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 05:54:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: bev@magickcanoe.com
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Paul,

A single Noctua pronuba showed up at my place last night.  It may be that I'll see more over the next few weeks as I believe their usual flight time is in July.
Here is a not-so-good photo of last night's moth for anyone who might be interested.
http://magickcanoe.com/2011/noctua-pronuba.jpg
Also, a brief history of its introduction - first seen in Halifax in 1979.
http://pubs.esc-sec.ca/doi/abs/10.4039/Ent1151047-8
Not sure if they are plentiful around here, but I would think so, although I don't believe I saw any here at Round Hill last summer. In the past, I have had them come to the light back in Ontario.

bev wigney
Round Hill, NS (in summer)