[NatureNS] Happy Canada day

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:25:45 -0300

What  a lovely day in White Point. The air is alive with song and there are
still fresh young putting in appearances.
Black and deer flies are both plentiful so if the breeze drops, bug jackets
might come in handy. I fear it will be a horse fly summer as well.

One swallow house is extremely busy, I see parent birds making very quick
deliveries and coaxing  young to come to the opening. There should be a
fledge from there soon. Usually July first they fly away but this year maybe
later due to late settling in.
Alas the other house, I fear, seems abandoned. There were peeps coming from
it the other day but I haven't heard them later yesterday or today nor have
I seen any comings and goings. So sad.  I won't get Steve to check in case
there is some incubation of a late nest but I don't think so. One adult bird
stopped coming awhile ago and even though the visitors appear from time to
time to help out, I think it is lost. I hope I am wrong.

On the other hand several places on the road to town and in town I see have
swallow nests and lots of activity in light standards.

I have a hummingbird that may have a band. It has something around one leg
quite high up, seems to be favoring it a bit. I think I might try to get it
to come to my hand and see what I can find. It might be a fine thread, some
hair or bit of web, but if it can come off I might be able to help.....no I
wouldn't take a band off, but if the bird is damaged by one (I had a one
legged hummingbird bird one year) I'd be tempted.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens