[NatureNS] black bears

From: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
To: NS NATURE <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 21:06:49 -0300

--_4a8f6f29-b2f3-41d2-b598-df9579c2457d_

Hi All=2C
=20
I've had a few close encounters with Black Bear over the years mostly when =
they pop out of the woods onto the trail in front of me and in all but one =
occasion they were gone before I could react. On the one occasion=3B when t=
he bear was walking toward me on the same trail I was on=3B I had to yell a=
t the bear to get its attention before it saw me and beat a hasty retreat.
=20
A study of the history of bear attacks published in May in the Journal of W=
ildlife Management came to the surprising conclusion that around 90% of bea=
r attacks are males hunting for food and that mothers defending cubs made u=
p only a small proportion of attacks. This study tells me that if I'm going=
 to get attacked by a bear it will likely be a male that is stalking me as =
a meal. It is almost never going to be a mother with cubs=3B unless you are=
 unlucky and get between the two=3B and virtually never from a chance encou=
nter in the wild.=20
=20
Thus=2C if you encounter a bear by chance it will almost always flee when i=
t sees you. The same goes for a mom with cubs - on most occasions. On the o=
ther hand if you note a bear following you you should try and reach safety =
as soon as possible and be prepared to defend yourself. I always carry a lo=
ud whistle=2C knife and walking stick but in a pinch gather rocks and a stu=
rdy branch. You can use a cell phone to call for help if possible. Bear spr=
ay can be effective but make sure any wind is at your back before you use i=
t or you may get more spray than the bear.
=20
Much of what I advise here would hold for coyotes or cougar=3B should you e=
ver be lucky enough to encounter one.
=20
I can't imagine listening to bells while hiking=3B It would drive me crazy.
=20
All the best.
                         Fritz McEvoy
                          Sunrise Valley=2C CB =20