[NatureNS] pretty spider, baby birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:58:14 -0300

Well I have a photo, probably not very good of Momma Northern Flicker who
brought 3 of her young ones to the lawn this noontime for to teach them how
to dig for their own _--ants. Ha! it was fun to watch.
One got the hang of it right away but the others decided they still wanted
delivery. I have a couple photos of Momma (I assume) shoving lunch into the
mouth of one.

The other thing I took a photo of was the most delicate and pretty yellow
spider. I don't believe I have ever seen one quite like it. Very small and
has great long legs like a crab.

Of course no photo of hummingbird with the banded (questionable) leg. As
yet........I will keep trying. The whole attitude of the birds is different
now they are seriously working their nests.

Last baby swallow is still in the house by the barn. Parents are dropping by
periodically to feed it but they are getting frustrated with it not flying.
I thought a few minutes ago it would, flapped its wings and reached way out
for a snack  but it changed its mind and went back inside. You could almost
hear the parent bird swearing. It went around and around the house a number
of times then finally flew away. I see one there again now.
There are still purple finches, American goldfinches, the occassional
Grackle and starling, Blue Jays and a variety of sparrows. The cat bird is
still about and teasing both the robins and the bluejays. Woodpeckers are
back and forth constantly and the young chickadees are playing in the tree
tops. Clumsy at times but seem to be having fun.
I guess that is it for now.
Best regards,
 Marg Millard, White Point, Queens