[NatureNS] Elizabeth Bishop poems

From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:37:27 -0300

Richard, Earlier in June there was a three-day conference on Bishop's poems,
prose, and life at King's College--people from as far away as Japan, Israel,
Germany, England, and Ireland gave presentations. This is the centenary year
of her birth, so there have been plenty of tributes and special events
centred on her, including new musical works based on her poems and presented
by Symphony Nova Scotia as well as at the Scotia Festival of Music. The
second poem you mention, "At the Fishhouses," one of her greatest, was
inspired by a stay she made in Shelburne. Among other things, she's truly
one of the supreme shore-and-beach poets in the English language. If you
enjoyed the two you mention, be sure to track down "Sandpiper," "The End of
March," and "The Fish" (the second comes from the coast of Massachusetts,
the third from Florida).  Many of Bishop's other poems reflect Great
Village, her mother's native place, where she lived a few years as a child
and visited again throughout her life. What is many readers' favourite
Bishop poem, "The Moose," is rooted in a bus-trip leaving Great Village and
travelling along Minas Basin, on to the Tantramar Marshes and the woods of
New Brunswick. Every Nova Scotian should read and know at least her Nova
Scotia poems.
Brian