[NatureNS] Dowitchers, "Shorebird Cove" HRM

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:17:44 -0300

Hi Ian

I am sure you have seen a lot of cuckoos and mourning doves flying by over
the years.  On my way to Pubnico,  I made a detour to check out Port Joli
looking for my first ruffed grouse for 2011.  A cuckoo? mourning dove? flew
across the road in front of me.  Noticed the white spots on its tail,
pointed wings, and arched back.  It was more or less gliding by, not
flapping.  It disappeared into the woods.  It never came out despite my
stake out.

My first thought was a cuckoo, actually a yellow-billed cuckoo because of
large spots.   Then, I began to have second thoughts and wondered whether it
could have been a mourning dove?  Both are the same length and have white
tail spots.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

pst.. I have seen a few dowitchers with really very long bills so could they
have been long billed dowitchers after all?

thanks.
liz