[NatureNS] Mourning Dove nest

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 00:04:57 +0000

--_8064d4c6-cf8a-4637-91b9-9b880ed1be30_

I had a report of a nest above a light fixture outside of a friends house a=
t Garden Lots.  They told me that it was of a mourning dove and that two yo=
ung were present.  I suspected that it probably was a rock pigeon=2C as to =
this point I'd only ever seen or come across morning dove nests in evergree=
n or thick deciduous trees.  Well my friends were correct.  I visited the s=
ite on the evening of July 7 and watched the second juvenile dove fledge th=
e nest.  This was a second nesting with two young fledged prior this year. =
 The initial nest was initiated in April.  Two young fledged and a new nest=
 was initiated and this one produced two young.  Right away the adult is ag=
ain back on the nest=2C so there is a potential of a third nest being initi=
ated.  All very interesting.
=20
Also=2C other nests occurred in the same yard.  There is a ceramic birdhous=
e that looks most like a teapot which fledged one nesting of black-capped c=
hickadees.  The adult is back again sitting on eggs for a second nest.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport
=20
  		 	   		  =

--_8064d4c6-cf8a-4637-91b9-9b880ed1be30_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
<FONT size=3D3>I had a report of a nest above a light fixture outside of a =
friends house at Garden Lots.&nbsp=3B They told me that it was of a mournin=
g dove and that two young were present.&nbsp=3B I suspected that it probabl=
y was a rock pigeon=2C as to this point I'd only ever seen or come across m=
orning dove nests in evergreen or thick deciduous trees.&nbsp=3B Well my fr=
iends were correct.&nbsp=3B I visited the site on the evening of July 7 and=
 watched the second juvenile dove fledge the nest.&nbsp=3B This was a secon=
d nesting with two young fledged prior this year.&nbsp=3B The initial nest =
was initiated in April.&nbsp=3B Two young fledged and a new nest was initia=
ted and this one produced two young.&nbsp=3B Right away the adult is again =
back on the nest=2C so there is a potential of a third nest being initiated=
.&nbsp=3B All very interesting.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Also=2C other nests occurred in the same yard.&nbsp=3B There=
 is a ceramic birdhouse that looks most like a teapot which fledged one nes=
ting of black-capped chickadees.&nbsp=3B The adult is back again sitting on=
 eggs for a second nest.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Bayport</FONT><BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_8064d4c6-cf8a-4637-91b9-9b880ed1be30_--