[NatureNS] Re: Wolverine in NS

From: Ulli <uhoeger@dal.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:46:28 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Well,

Tell us you have seen an Eskimo Curlew on the Rocks of Peggy's Cove
last week and you will see how many will buy in on that one.
Different story if there is some evidence for evaluation that comes
along with a claim like that. A photo would be nice, some poop
scraped of the rocks for DNA analysis even better.

On the other hand nobody will question my claim that I have seen a
Robin this morning in my Dartmouth backyard,  assuming I am talking
about American robin and not the old world bird with the same name
(different story if I would make that claim).

The difference between the two reports should be obvious.

How many would have accepted the report of the Calliope hummer from
last Fall if it wouldn't have been for the photo that came along with
it?
Sure, critics can argue that this photo could have been taken
anywhere, but that touches a different totally different issue.

So even with cougars and wolverines native to North America and not
(yet) extinct, they are not what you expect to be found in NS and
vicinity for reasons of their natural history.
This puts their sightings in the same drawer like Eskimo Curlew,
European robin, and Calliope Hummer from above. Possible (well not so
much for the Curlew anymore) but unlikely,
with lots of room for misidentification.

Fact is that, to my knowledge, that no sighting of a cougar reported
in NS has been supported by anything other than the eye witness report.
No samples of feces or fur, no road kill, no photos, no tracks .........
Chances would be that sooner or later one or the other would become
available if cougars are present in NS.

Even the wolverine Eric told us about provided in its end undeniable
evidence for its existance.

Ulli