[NatureNS] Nesting turtles

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 07:14:45 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

The only real way to defeat the raccoons is to remove the eggs, and release the hatchlings when they emerge.  I don't know whether that is approved by EC.

Anyway, turtle eggs require protection from desiccation.  You cannot just put them in an egg-crate, and wait.  They must be in soil.  They also must not be drenched with water, which will suffocate the embryos inside the eggs.

As a boy, I once excavated a snapping turtle nest.  I had very carefully noted the exact location when I observed the female laying the eggs, and yet when I dug, the eggs were not there!  Eventually I found that they had been carefully placed in a side chamber off the vertical excavation, so that the eggs were directly under a clump of protective grass.  I kept the eggs in soil, lightly moist but not at all saturated, until they hatched, whereupon the young were released.