[NatureNS] Not so swift?

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:22:00 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Ken, Jim, other swift-watchers
As a non-clued-in person reading these regular swift reports, I'm a
bit puzzled by the numbers.
We keep getting notices of gratifyingly (?) large numbers of swifts
entering this Temperance Steet chimney and a few others, but these are
swifts that migrated in some time ago and obviously would have come to
breed.  They have been here for some time already in our short summer,
so if they paired off earlier and went off to find nest holes to raise
young, what are they doing roosting nightly 200 strong, 2/3 the way
through July?  Who is incubating the eggs or sheltering the young, or
don't swifts do that?  Or are these all male roosts, leaving the
female swifts to do all the work back at the nest?  Or have they bred
successfully already, so that some of these may be newly fledged
offspring from this year?  If the last were the case, you might expect
high numbers roosting just after in-migration, then very low numbers
during breeding elsewhere, then high numbers again after this year's
offspring took wing.  Is that what your numbers show, Jim or Ken?

If instead this means that there are actually 200 or so unmated swifts
loafing around but not breeding, that sounds like an impending
population disaster and cause for concern that the numbers are so
high, not the reverse.  Someone please explain.
Steve, Halifax