[NatureNS] Frog Pond, Jollimore, HRM

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:52:26 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--00163645802edc7c2904a8fbc252

I agree. Much nicer than my straight copies of eBird lists! But I often
don't have the time to write essays unfortunately.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--00163645802edc7c2904a8fbc252

I agree. Much nicer than my straight copies of eBird lists! But I often don=
div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Mary Macaulay <s=
pan dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marymacaulay@hotmail.com">marymacaula=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

: <a href=3D"mailto:bbartlett@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">bbartlett@east=
link.ca</a><br>&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=
=3D"_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a><br>

&gt; Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Frog Pond, Jollimore, HRM<br>&gt; Date: Tue, 2=
; Patricia, Thanks so much for your brief personal essay, which truly draws=
 us <br>

&gt; into your time by Frog Pond. Sometimes it&#39;s enjoyable to read a de=
tailed <br>&gt; dramatic, descriptive account (which of course takes time t=
o write) rather <br>&gt; than just a  list of sightings (which has its own =
kind of value). Good <br>

&gt; health to you -- Brian<br>&gt; <br>&gt; ------------------------------=
--------------------<br>&gt; From: &quot;P.L. Chalmers&quot; &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">plchalmers@ns.sympati=
co.ca</a>&gt;<br>

&gt; Sent: Monday, July 25, 2011 10:29 PM<br>&gt; To: &quot;NatureNS&quot; =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@c=
hebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>&gt; Subject: [NatureNS] Frog Pond, Jollimore, HRM=

&gt; <br>&gt; &gt; On Saturday evening the sun came out, unexpectedly, afte=
r an overcast and <br>&gt; &gt; muggy afternoon that threatened rain.  I ha=
ve a bad case of &quot;cabin fever&quot;, <br>&gt; &gt; as I have been ill =
for some time and have not been out enjoying the summer <br>

&gt; &gt; much at all.  So I seized the moment and thought that at least I =
could <br>&gt; &gt; walk part way around the Frog Pond (in Fleming Park, HR=
M) to see how the <br>&gt; &gt; season was advancing.  It&#39;s one of my f=
avourite places but I haven&#39;t been <br>

&gt; &gt; there for a couple of months.<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; At the en=
trance to the trail a squirrel was eating Indian Pear fruits - <br>&gt; &gt=
; both nutrition and moisture after a warm day.  There didn&#39;t seem to b=
e <br>

&gt; &gt; much bird activity, although I thought it might soon pick up in t=
he cool <br>&gt; &gt; of the evening.  I didn&#39;t want to walk far, so af=
ter the first boardwalk I <br>&gt; &gt; decided to find a quiet place along=
 the shore to just sit and watch. <br>

&gt; &gt; Green Frogs were making their twanging banjo-string calls.  There=
 was an <br>&gt; &gt; immature Great Blue Heron out on the rocks; they ofte=
n show up here in <br>&gt; &gt; mid/late summer.  A pair of Ring-necked Duc=
ks was unexpected; a few come <br>

&gt; &gt; here in migration, but this seemed early.  Surely they haven&#39;=
t been here <br>&gt; &gt; all season? I sat and watched for about half an h=
our, hoping for Chimney <br>&gt; &gt; Swifts or swallows over the water, bu=
t instead got to watch a pair of <br>

&gt; &gt; noisy Osprey calling and circling.<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; The =
cove where I sat has lots of water lilies in bloom, and in past years <br>&=
gt; &gt; I would often see Beavers here, sitting up on the rocks and eating=
 lily <br>

&gt; &gt; roots.  However there have been no Beavers in the Frog Pond for t=
he last <br>&gt; &gt; two years - I don&#39;t know what has happened to the=
m.<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; At about 8 o&#39;clock, just as I was thinking=
 I should head home, I saw from <br>

&gt; &gt; the corner of my eye a large bird fly into a clump of maples abou=
t 12-15 <br>&gt; &gt; feet away from me, and land about 12 feet up.  A Barr=
ed Owl!  It looked me <br>&gt; &gt; over and I tried not to stare, so looke=
d away after a moment.  I have <br>

&gt; &gt; often seen Barred Owls, but never one so close, in daylight.  It =
seemed <br>&gt; &gt; unconcerned by my presence, but was very interested in=
 the people who were <br>&gt; &gt; passing along the trail right below it. =
It was interesting to watch its <br>

&gt; &gt; head swivel as it turned to catch the high-pitched voices of chil=
dren.  Am <br>&gt; &gt; I imaging things or was it particularly interested =
in a small dog?  Most <br>&gt; &gt; of the passers-by walked underneath it =
without seeing the owl - so few <br>

&gt; &gt; people look up when they are outside.<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; T=
he owl was perched where it could observe a shallow muddy inlet where <br>&=
gt; &gt; some Green Frogs were calling; I hoped I would see it try to catch=
 one.  A <br>

&gt; &gt; couple of times a Robin would fly by and suddenly throw a panic a=
ttack <br>&gt; &gt; when it saw the owl.  I remained sitting for another ha=
lf hour, enjoying <br>&gt; &gt; the owl&#39;s presence; when I left it sile=
ntly watched me go.<br>

0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</=
a><br>

--00163645802edc7c2904a8fbc252--