[NatureNS] cormorant ID, please.

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:50:49 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0003255757aadfb0d004a8fd6a30

I recently received a Cormorant (among other treasures) from the Cobequid
Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre (thanks Helene and Kathleen!). These will be
incorporated into the collection here at StFX. However, I'm perplexed about
the identity because some of the identifying marks suggest Double-crested,
some suggest Great. I've taken a series of pictures, but for now, I'm
posting only two. I'll add more as (or if) the discussion unfolds!

http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/personel/whatsnew.html

Can the bird be identified just from these head shots? And Helene and
Kathleen...you two can't answer based on other characteristics you remember,
ok?

On another note, I remember somewhere in my distant birding past about
numbers of rectrices (tail feathers) being different between cormorant
species...or between cormorants and most other birds...I'm not sure. Anyone?

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0003255757aadfb0d004a8fd6a30

I recently received a Cormorant (among other treasures) from the=A0<span cl=
ass=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -=
webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px; font-family: &#39;Times New Roman&#39;=
; font-size: medium; ">Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre (thanks Hele=
ne and Kathleen!). These will be incorporated into the collection here at S=
tFX. However, I&#39;m perplexed about the identity because some of the iden=
tifying marks suggest Double-crested, some suggest Great. I&#39;ve taken a =
series of pictures, but for now, I&#39;m posting only two. I&#39;ll add mor=
e as (or if) the discussion unfolds!</span><div>

/div><div>Can the bird be identified just from these head shots?=A0And Hele=
ne and Kathleen...you two can&#39;t answer based on other characteristics y=
ou remember, ok?</div>

ast about numbers of rectrices (tail feathers) being different between corm=
orant species...or between cormorants and most other birds...I&#39;m not su=
re. Anyone?</div>

--0003255757aadfb0d004a8fd6a30--