[NatureNS] Tree Frog and Purple Loosestrife

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:36:45 -0300

We are  intrigued by a Tree Frog who likes to climb into our rain gauge -
one of those yellow plastic tubular types  attached  to a 4 ft wooden post
in our back yard - whenever there is a dry spell and it sits down at the
bottom of the gauge quite contentedly for hours. It does not enter if there
is any rain in the base of the gauge.   Can he foretell incoming bad weather
and therefore leave before the rain comes?  We are curious if anyone else
has noticed something similar.

On a different note, today driving to Halifax I was surprised to see many
patches of wild Purple Loosestrife plants in full floral spikes along wet
Highway 101 ditches between Windsor and Bedford.

Cheers, Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts

 Wolfville NS