[NatureNS] Cougars and Ivory-billed woodpeckers

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:48:02 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001636456f8c6a297004a914d8ef

Hi,

I'll weigh in on the interesting thread about E.cougars, elephants etc.,
mainly because I enjoy this kind of debate.  Wild cougars (or Eskimo
curlews, or Coelocanths etc.) may or may not be present in NS, and people
can believe whatever they want. But I agree with Ulli etc. that convincing
the naturalist and scientific community would require a pretty high degree
of proof - preferably independently analysed and corroborated photos,
videos, DNA etc., and then proof beyond a reasonable doubt that any photos
aren't faked in some way, and that the creature wasn't a zoo or collection
escape, like Paul's elephant.

I would urge interested parties, and for that matter all birders and
naturalists interested in reporting sightings,  to read David Sibley's
refutation of the "proof" that the Ivory-billed woodpecker still lives in
Arkansas, for a great example of what to look for and how to go about it ,
and the sort of analysis that should convince skeptics on rare bird
committees etc.! (http://www.sciencemag.org/content/311/5767/1555.1.full),
followed by John Fitzpatrick's response (
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/311/5767/1555.2.full). These are 2 highly
respected well-known birders with multiple books and publications to their
name, who give apparently convincing evidence to prove opposite "facts",
neither of which has subsequently been corroborated, although apparently
Fitzpatrick has backed down somewhat and the Cornell team have stopped
searching till more definitive evidence is found.

Keep debating and looking!

Richard
--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--001636456f8c6a297004a914d8ef

Hi,<br><br>I&#39;ll weigh in on the interesting thread about E.cougars, ele=
phants etc., mainly because I enjoy this kind of debate.=A0 Wild cougars (o=
r Eskimo curlews, or Coelocanths etc.) may or may not be present in NS, and=
 people can believe whatever they want. But I agree with Ulli etc. that con=
vincing the naturalist and scientific community would require a pretty high=
 degree of proof - preferably independently analysed and corroborated photo=
s, videos, DNA etc., and then proof beyond a reasonable doubt that any phot=
os aren&#39;t faked in some way, and that the creature wasn&#39;t a zoo or =
collection escape, like Paul&#39;s elephant. <br>

turalists interested in reporting sightings,=A0 to read David Sibley&#39;s =
refutation of the &quot;proof&quot; that the Ivory-billed woodpecker still =
lives in Arkansas, for a great example of what to look for and how to go ab=
out it , and the sort of analysis that should convince skeptics on rare bir=
d committees etc.! (<a href=3D"http://www.sciencemag.org/content/311/5767/1=
555.1.full">http://www.sciencemag.org/content/311/5767/1555.1.full</a>), fo=
llowed by John Fitzpatrick&#39;s response (<a href=3D"http://www.sciencemag=
.org/content/311/5767/1555.2.full">http://www.sciencemag.org/content/311/57=
67/1555.2.full</a>). These are 2 highly respected well-known birders with m=
ultiple books and publications to their name, who give apparently convincin=
g evidence to prove opposite &quot;facts&quot;, neither of which has subseq=
uently been corroborated, although apparently Fitzpatrick has backed down s=
omewhat and the Cornell team have stopped searching till more definitive ev=
idence is found.<br>

P 1T0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">st=
ernrichard@gmail.com</a><br>

--001636456f8c6a297004a914d8ef--