[NatureNS] Fwd: New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism - Yahoo! News

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 10:31:17 -0300

--Apple-Mail-56-951912245

Hi folks,

On 31-Jul-11, at 8:52 AM, Flora Johnson wrote:

> This article gives an overview based on interviews with a large
> number of climate researchers:
> http://www.livescience.com/15293-climate-change-cloud-cover.html

There are many excellent points in this rebuttal including:

i. The paper's author Roy Spencer, is a climate change skeptic and
controversial figure within the climate research community;

ii. The paper itself got scant attention until James Taylor, a writer
for The Heartland Institute, a libertarian think-tank that
promotesclimate change skepticism, blogged for Forbes magazine that
the study was "extremely important" and disproved the global warming
worries of climate change "alarmists."

iii. Mainstream climate scientists say that the argument advanced in
the paper is neither new nor correct. "(Spencer has) taken an
incorrect model, he's tweaked it to match observations, but the
conclusions you get from that are not correct," said Andrew Dessler, a
professor of atmospheric sciences at Texas A&M University.

The discipline of climate science is a fantastically complicated area,
and perhaps no more so then in trying to understand human-induced
changes in the climate - a phenomenon without historical precedent.
Knowledge about this will not instantly and perfectly spring into
creation. Scientists have been studying the fossil record for a couple
of centuries and our understanding is still imperfect and new
discoveries still continue to challenge some of our ideas.
Nevertheless, despite periodic mistakes or misinterpretations, there's
nothing that causes any serious scientist to doubt the role of
evolution.

Similarly, climate change science, a much newer enterprise, is still
continuing to develop, it is imperfect, and there have been and will
continue to be mistakes. However, as Gavin Schmidt, a NASA Goddard
climatologist  said in the Live Science article:

"If you want to do a story then write one pointing to the
ridiculousness of people jumping onto every random press release as if
well-established science gets dismissed on a dime. Climate sensitivity
is not constrained by the last two decades of imperfect satellite
data, but rather the paleoclimate record."

It is vital to recall that the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change (IPCC) is the probably largest scientific endeavor ever
undertaken with the participation of thousands of climatologists
throughout the world. It has been working on the issue of climate
change since 1988. It's conclusions have been endorsed by the worlds
joint scientific academies, the European Geosciences Union, the
International Council for Science, the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration, the National Research Council, the Royal
Meteorological Society, the Stratigraphy Commission of the Geological
Society of London, the Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric
Sciences, the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society, etc.,
i.e., virtually every credible scientific body in the world that has
any expertise in relation climatology and meteorology.

For a quick introduction to the IPCC initiative visit their website at:

	http://www.ipcc.ch/

Or the Wikipedia page about the IPCC:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergovernmental_Panel_on_Climate_Change

Which also includes a section on some of the mistakes that have
surfaced through the history of the IPCC reports, some of the
criticisms that have been leveled at their conclusions, and how
scientists have responded to these critiques.

Our understanding of climate change is still imperfect, but at this
stage it has moved well beyond being "dismissed on a dime". We need to
perfect our knowledge, but even more importantly, we need to take
decisive action to halt and reverse this trend which threatens the
environmental integrity of the planet - and humanity together with it.

Best wishes,

Chris

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca
> > wrote:
>
> Are the scientists who are always ready to drop a theory in face of
> evidence, ready?
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-global-warming-alarmism-192334971.html
>
> Lois Codling

Christopher Majka
6252 Jubilee Rd., Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 2G5
c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In
practice there is. - Yogi Berra

--Apple-Mail-56-951912245

31-Jul-11, at 8:52 AM, Flora Johnson wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>This =
article gives an overview based on interviews with a large number of =
climate researchers: <br><a =
href=3D"http://www.livescience.com/15293-climate-change-cloud-cover.html">=
http://www.livescience.com/15293-climate-change-cloud-cover.html</a></div>=
Roy Spencer, is a&nbsp;climate&nbsp;change&nbsp;skeptic and =
controversial figure within the climate research =
attention until James Taylor,&nbsp;a writer for The Heartland Institute, =
a libertarian think-tank that promotesclimate change skepticism, blogged =
for Forbes magazine that the study was "extremely important" and =
disproved the global warming worries of&nbsp;climate change =
say that the argument advanced in the paper is neither new nor =
correct.&nbsp;"(Spencer has) taken an incorrect model, he's tweaked it =
to match observations, but the conclusions you get from that are not =
correct," said Andrew Dessler, a professor of atmospheric sciences at =
of climate science is a fantastically complicated area, and perhaps no =
more so then in trying to understand human-induced changes in the =
climate - a phenomenon without historical precedent. Knowledge about =
this will not instantly and perfectly spring into creation. Scientists =
have been studying the fossil record for a couple of centuries and our =
understanding is still imperfect and new discoveries still continue to =
challenge some of our ideas. Nevertheless, despite periodic mistakes or =
misinterpretations, there's nothing that causes any serious scientist to =
change science, a much newer enterprise, is still continuing to develop, =
it is imperfect, and there have been and will continue to be mistakes. =
However, as&nbsp;Gavin Schmidt, a NASA Goddard climatologist &nbsp;said =
to do a story then write one pointing to the ridiculousness of people =
jumping onto every random press release as if well-established science =
gets dismissed on a dime. Climate sensitivity is not constrained by the =
last two decades of imperfect satellite data, but rather =
vital to recall that the&nbsp;Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change =
(IPCC) is the probably largest scientific endeavor ever undertaken with =
the participation of thousands of climatologists throughout the world. =
It has been working on the issue of climate change since 1988. It's =
conclusions have been endorsed by the worlds joint scientific academies, =
the European Geosciences Union, the&nbsp;International Council for =
Science, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, =
the&nbsp;National Research Council, the Royal Meteorological Society, =
the&nbsp;Stratigraphy Commission of the&nbsp;Geological Society of =
London, the&nbsp;Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric =
Sciences, the&nbsp;Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society, =
etc., i.e., virtually every credible scientific body in the world that =
has any expertise in relation climatology and =
class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre">	<a =
style=3D"white-space:pre"></span>Or the Wikipedia page about the =
style=3D"white-space:pre">	</span><a =
href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergovernmental_Panel_on_Climate_Ch=
ange">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergovernmental_Panel_on_Climate_Chan=
the mistakes that have surfaced through the history of the IPCC reports, =
some of the criticisms that have been leveled at their conclusions, and =
how scientists have responded to these =
is still imperfect, but at this stage it has moved well beyond being =
"dismissed on a dime". We need to perfect our knowledge, but even more =
importantly, we need to take decisive action to halt and reverse this =
trend which threatens the environmental integrity of the planet - and =
30, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Lois Codling <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca">loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca</a=
>&gt;</span> wrote:<br> <blockquote style=3D"border-left-color: rgb(204, =
204, 204); border-left-width: 1px; border-left-style: solid; margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0.8ex; =
padding-left: 1ex; position: static; z-index: auto; " =
class=3D"gmail_quote"><br>Are the scientists who are always ready to =
drop a theory in face of evidence, ready?<br><br><a =
href=3D"http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-global-warming-al=
armism-192334971.html" =
target=3D"_blank">http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-<u></u>data-blow-gaping-hold-=
color=3D"#888888"><br>Lois =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: =
normal; orphans: 2; text-align: auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
align=3D"">Christopher Majka</div><div align=3D"">6252 Jubilee Rd., =
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 2G5</div><div align=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca">c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca</a></div><=
div align=3D"">&nbsp;</div><i>In theory there's no difference between =
theory and practice. In practice there is.</i><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span>- Yogi =

--Apple-Mail-56-951912245--