[NatureNS] Monarch update - South Shore

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 13:46:23 -0300

We saw our first Monarchs of the season this past weekend.  One appeared at
the Nature Trust event at Crow Neck Beach on the Baccaro Peninsula on
Saturday mid-day, one was on the Hawk Beach in the afternoon and the third
was at Keji Seaside Park on Sunday afternoon.
In each case, they were seen on or close to the Beach.  From most of my
observations in the past in NS, Monarchs seem to be a coastal species, at
least on the Atlantic side and of course we have little or no Milkweed
around here.
Can anyone explain these primarily coastal appearances?

Bob McDonald
Halifax