[NatureNS] skunk in CB

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:17:59 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0015175cb70226086504aa43038d

Hi Fritz,

You can have a whole bunch of ours if you want!

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0015175cb70226086504aa43038d

tz McEvoy <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com">=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

Hi All,<br>
=A0=A0=A0 My partner told me this afternoon that she=A0saw a dead skunk on =
her daily walk. I said there are no skunks in CB but it was certainly worth=
 a look. Turns out she was right and a small roadkill skunk was on the shou=
lder of the road about a mile from=A0our house. <br>

=A0=A0=A0 Most of the body was gone and there were lots of carrion beetles =
and maggots doing what they do best. The skeleton looked complete (I&#39;m =
not sure about the ribs) so=A0I=A0bagged the carcass=A0and some hair. Becau=
se the=A0body was quite small I think it may be a juvenile. There was no ob=
vious cause of death but finding it on the side of the road seems a good cl=
ue. =A0<br>

=A0=A0=A0 Both DNR and CBHNP websites say there are no skunks in CB and I c=
an&#39;t remember any other documented observations of CB skunks on naturen=
s or other N.S.=A0natural history sites so the question is not only when di=
d they get to CB but how did it get to the northern tip of CB without=A0obs=
ervation? Perhaps it hitched a ride in a vehicle or maybe they&#39;ve been =
here for awhile and no one has noticed.<br>

=A0=A0=A0 If anyone is interested in=A0having the carcass=A0for study I can=
=A0arrange for delivery. All the best.<br><font color=3D"#888888">
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Fritz McEvo=
y=A0<br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Sunrise =
0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</=
a><br>

--0015175cb70226086504aa43038d--