[NatureNS] Milkweed

Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:33:20 -0300
From: Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Angela,
    We have dry sandy soils here in Cambridge and the common milkweed
grows and spread prolifically.  If you dig up a root that has nodes on
it and plant it you will get milkweed.  The seed is also viable and we
get milkweed sprouting years after the seed floated onto our lawn.  We
have also pulled up plants with small roots and put them in water to
have them develop more roots.

    If you do get the milkweed to take and grow. Be sure to control its
spread. It will spread by underground roots as well as its air-born
seed.  I would suggest not letting the seed pods mature unless you need
the seed. Pull up any milkweed that spreads outside the area you want it.

Larry Bogan
Cambridge Station