[NatureNS] Great Shearwater(1000's++)

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:39:28 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_NSJXHRIzHxIkNThBYxDnwg)

Laura and I took our evening walk along Chebucto Head Road to Duncan's Cove Road, thence to Duncan's Cove and to the look-off over Duncan Reef.  As we approached Duncan's Cove there was a melee offshore.  The first bird seen in the thousands was Northern Gannet flying and diving along a long line stretching from somewhere off Chebucto Head around Duncan Reef and to the west until out of sight.  There were whales in this spectacle, sporting a small dorsal, possibly Minke's, and hundreds of gulls.  The remarkable aspect of this was the presence of thousands of Great Shearwaters sitting on the water or flying along in a southwesterly direction. Smaller birds were present, likely alcids, but my 10X binoculars didn't have the reach to sort them out. Alas, my camera and spotting scope were left at home. We have no idea what species was the victim of all this attention.

We have never seen this many Great Shearwaters anywhere, even on the high seas.

Tomorrow I'll check out the area again and try to get some photos. It's a fair effort to get my gear down to Duncan Reef which is the best vantage for this display.

Wow!

Hans
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_NSJXHRIzHxIkNThBYxDnwg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19120">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Laura and I took our evening walk along Chebucto
Head Road to Duncan's Cove Road, thence to Duncan's Cove and to the look-off
over Duncan Reef.&nbsp; As we approached Duncan's Cove there was a melee
offshore.&nbsp; The first bird seen in the thousands was <STRONG>Northern
Gannet</STRONG> flying and diving along a long line stretching from somewhere
off Chebucto Head around Duncan Reef and to the&nbsp;west until out of
sight.&nbsp; There were whales in this spectacle, sporting a small dorsal,
possibly Minke's, and&nbsp;hundreds of gulls.&nbsp; The remarkable aspect of
this was the presence of thousands of <STRONG>Great Shearwaters</STRONG> sitting
on the water or flying along in a southwesterly direction.&nbsp;Smaller birds
were present, likely alcids, but my 10X binoculars didn't have the reach to sort
them out.&nbsp;Alas, my camera and spotting scope were left at home.&nbsp;We
have no idea what species was the victim of all this attention.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We have never seen this many Great Shearwaters
anywhere, even on the high seas.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Tomorrow I'll check out the area again and try to
get some photos.&nbsp;It's a fair effort to get my gear down to Duncan Reef
which is the best vantage for this display.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Wow!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_NSJXHRIzHxIkNThBYxDnwg)--